Friday, March 2, 2012

A bit of Inspiration

Yesterday I received an email from the doctor that was sent out to all of his patients. It was just reminding us that sometimes it is not about making Diabetes the fight but about working together to manage it. This was a bit of inspiration for me. I have been blessed with an amazing team at my daughters school that works with me every step of the way and are really out to make things as simple as possible. I realize not all Diabetes families are this lucky and have to really push to get their kids what they need in order to manage their Diabetes at school. But keeping a good rapport with the school staff is very important.
He quoted Prof Abdul Kalam, former President of India, "You have to dream before your dreams can come true". I thought of this quote in terms of we have to try before we can expect to succeed. If we approach a situation with a positive outlook and strive to settle issues in a pleasant manner it often works. However if we take an angry, my way or the highway, approach it sets a negative tone and the issue may become worse. I am not one to sit back and be taken advantage of but I have learned over the years sometimes you must step back and hear other people out.
When you deal with something, like Diabetes, on a daily basis it is sometimes hard to remember there are people who don't understand. They may not understand what the disease is, what it entails or how important it is for your child to be able to eat a snack at a moments notice. It is hard to know if you're never taught, realistically in most cases a child doesn't face the risk of passing out from not being able to eat a snack. Individuals with Type 1 sometimes need a snack instantly, if their sugar is very low and they do not address it immediately they may very well pass out. Instead of letting this upset you take the time to explain and make it simple. Educating anyone about this disease make it easier for yourself and others.

2 comments:

  1. Diabetes can be a hard to deal with for sure. My grandfather passed away from this disease and I have just been recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am hoping that it is just the pregnancy and that everything will return to normal and the baby will be fine, but it is scary because it means that life will need to change for me and my family.

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristine, The ADA website has tons of great information and resources. Gestational Diabetes can be scary especially with all the other stresses pregnancy brings but with proper care and attention you will do great! I wish you the best of luck and if I can be of any help please let me know.

      Delete