Sunday, February 26, 2012

Diagnosis Anniversary

So looking at hitting the year mark in a few weeks has made me consider what we are going to do. I have heard of many Type 1 Diabetics celebrating their diagnosis anniversary, does this seem odd to you? it's ok if it does, I've heard "what do you mean?" and "why would you want to make a point of remembering?" But hear me out my response to why would you want to make a point to remember is REALLY simple... she can't forget I mean really she can't like EVER "forget" there are a few hours a day, as in between meals, where she can forget but there's never more than a few waking hours where it doesn't nag her and trust me when I say there is NEVER a time she can afford to forget.
That being said I feel like the diagnosis anniversary is kind of a big deal she (we) have came a LONG way! we have a lot to celebrate, she is ALIVE! we have met Type 1 and kicked it's *** I mean why not grab the bull by the horns look it in the eye and laugh in it's face. It's more of a yeah you tried to take us down but we overcame. I mean this girl has been through so much the past year with learning how to test her blood sugar, change a lancet,  count carbs, give injections, figure her carb ratio, adjust her carb ratio, program an insulin pump, test for ketones, put in an infusion site, bolus, basal, (trust me there's more but I think you get the point), she's dealt with having to regulate her teenage life and stop when she's having fun to take care of her sugar why not celebrate that she is doing super fantastic??!?!
We have learned a lot too, like how awesome our friends and family are and how important a supportive family is. Her younger sister (5 years old) has tested her sugar for her, knows what carbs and insulin are, can tell you her sister's pancreas doesn't work (it seriously makes me smile every single time she explains to someone her sister has Type 1 Diabetes) and knows where to find the Glucagon! As a family we have all embraced and went with it and as a family we will all celebrate
So I think the decision at this point is a family dinner out, her choice of where and the family will celebrate her; her knowledge, growth and accomplishments. She deserves it and we all deserve to do it with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment