Friday, March 16, 2012

Community of Support

When my daughter was diagnosed I found myself craving knowledge and needing to get involved. I kind of jumped in and just ran with it (what an example my daughter was!) So I was blessed to find a local support group. The founder of the group was an inspiration, her daughter is a Type 1 Diabetic and she had a wealth of knowledge to share. She was the one that convinced me diabetic camp was something my daughter needed to do. She has continued to be an inspiration and such a comfort to be able to call on.
Anyway we made it to the monthly support group meeting tonight and there were some newly diagnosed kids and parents there and I felt like I was no longer the newbie. It was odd to sit there and reflect on our first meeting and the past year and realize I have learned SO much. I guess going through it we don't always acknowledge how far we have come. I am so thankful for those in the Diabetic community that have had such an impact on our lives. There are so many similar experiences, feeling and thoughts between kids with Type 1 and their parents, sometimes just sitting down and hearing it makes you feel like you are a community and the support factor is AMAZING!
Tonight there was a parent that I had spoken to on the phone for nearly an hour and she said our conversation had been so comforting I felt blessed to be the one sharing some of my knowledge and helping someone that was in the same position I was not that long ago.
It was a great night with some great reflection and a reminder that this is a crazy, unpredictable disease but we can manage it and move on to the fun stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment